[openal] How to use AL_EFFECT_COMPRESSOR

Mariusz 'MX' Szaflik mxadd at o2.pl
Thu Apr 3 10:43:23 EDT 2014

Hi

stupid (?) question - how to use AL_EFFECT_COMPRESSOR ? (openALSoft,
latest version)

Source-+->DF1->(AUXILIARY_SEND_FILTER)->RVB->\
        | |->[COMPRESSOR]->OUT
        +->DF2------------------------------->/

DF1 is AL_FILTER_LOWPASS
DF2 is AL_FILTER_LOWPASS
RVB is AL_EFFECT_EAXREVERB

how the COMPRESSOR fits into this ?
it should be where I wrote it above, but there is no chaining of global
effects - I'm right ?

Any example of using it would be nice, this rises yet another question:
How OpenALSoft is dealing with clipping ?
I ask because there is much less clipping heard compared to XAudio2
version of sound engine.
(let's say i have 10 cannons on the ship firing at once - OpenAl version
sounds much better without compressor than the XAudio one - is there
some 'anti clipping' code in mixer ?)