[openal] Make OpenAL use ALSA PLUG:DMIX

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:30:05 EDT 2014

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 01:47:53PM -0800, Roger wrote:
>>Definite evidence OpenAL alsoftrc is using plug:dmix previously when
>>specified!  I just don't think I see anything within DEBUG should plug:dmix is
>>actively being used, aside from that it's "Found".  In other words, 'Found
>>general:frequency = "44100"' as well, but further states an
>>"UpdateDeviceParams: Pre-reset: *Stereo, *Signed Short, *44100hz, 1024 update
>>size x4", and than a fail message.  So maybe when specifying an asoundrc
>>filter, an "UpdateDeviceParams: Using plug:dmix" notice should maybe be made?
>>Maybe just haven't coded yet, and similar to other sound driver plugins, as
>>upon notice of failure is the only mention within DEBUG was assumed sufficient
>>at the time.
>>
>>I will likely open a separate thread on the sample frequency 44100/48000hz
>>issue later.
>
>I now know why 48000hz is being set regardless of what's stated within
>.alsoftrc, it is because ALSA plug:demix defaults to 48000hz when using
>plug:dmix.  I sort of knew ALSA defaults to 48000hz, but wanted to verify.
>
>If a somebody wants another bit or sample rate, they'll need to fiddle with
>their .asoundrc or other ALSA configuration file.  48000hz seems to be best
>anyways, unless somebody is using an older slower computer.
>
>(Verified with unsetting "device = plug:dmix" & setting "frequency = 44100"
>within the OpenAL alsoftrc file, and alongside having my asoundrc file
>restricting usage of ALSA plug:dmix.  44100hz was then accepted through my
>S/PDIF connected reciever, as specified within the OpenAL alsoftrc file, and
>further displayed within "ALSOFT_LOGLEVEL=3" and the recievers display.)
>
>Now just to iron-out the details of FGCom not using ALSA plug:dmix.

Solved the FGCom issue. I forgot to specify "capture = plug:dsnoop" within the
$HOME/.alsoftrc file!

I was constantly skimming over this option within FGCom's wiki pages, as it
wasn't immediately obvious dsnoop had anything to do with DMix!  However ALSA's
page states, "dsnoop is the equivalent of the dmix plugin, but for recording
sound."

FGCom works wonderfully now, including having no echo!

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/