[openal] Upcoming OpenAL Soft release

Peter Hunnisett peter at softwarebalm.com
Wed Aug 13 17:35:40 EDT 2014

The only issue I know of is that capture doesn't work (massive underrun
problems)  on Windows/Cygwin/PortAudio due to the small number of
default buffers provided by PortAudio (16 samples provided when
paFramesPerBufferUnspecifiedis used) and the fact that their callback
thread only seems to wake up every 5ms or so (which would require 50+
samples for 11kHz sampling) on my machine. I haven't talked with
PortAudio but I kind of see it as their problem or a driver problem as I
would expect a default value to work.

 From the OpenAL side of things, it would be handy to have some kind of
way to configure how much latency could be handled on capture either
through the API or in the config file to work around the problem. I
suspect that might not be viewed as a quick little change to add in.

Regards,
Peter