[openal] hello and question re: alsa devices

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 21:11:33 EST 2014

On 02/13/2014 05:12 PM, bascule wrote:
> hi, i've subscribed to this list because i can't find any search results
> elsewhere that answer my query, namely is openal supposed to recognise alsa
> devices defined in my .asoundrc?
> openal-info will only list hardware devices and i believe this is why my
> freespace2 game won't work because i have a software defined alsa device in my
> .asoundrc. obviously you can't comment on the freespace game, but it would
> help if i knew whether openal was supposed to work with defined devices.

Hello.

The ALSA backend will normally use the 'default' device, and will
enumerate actual hardware devices. Enumerating the devices defined in
.asoundrc is a bit troublesome because ALSA will give a number of
duplicate, and some improperly configured and/or unusable, devices.

If you don't want to override ALSA's default device in .asoundrc, you
can tell OpenAL Soft to use a different default device. Edit or create
~/.alsoftrc and add the lines:

[alsa]
device = your_device

Alternatively, if your custom device can take card and device ids, you
can change that by setting:

[alsa]
device-prefix = your_device:

(colon intentional), then selecting an enumerated device will ultimately
open "your_device:CARD=cardid,DEV=devid"