[openal] Synchronizing 3D sources

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 13:43:31 EST 2014

On 01/27/2014 09:24 AM, Doug Binks wrote:
> AL_SAMPLE_OFFSET_DEVICE_CLOCK_SOFT returns source offset, output
> sample count, output frequency, and output update size.
 >
 > AL_SAMPLE_OFFSET_LATENCY_DEVICE_CLOCK_SOFT returns source offset in
 > 32.32 format as per AL_SAMPLE_OFFSET_LATENCY along with latency,
 > output sample count, output frequency and output update size.

It shouldn't be necessary to return the output frequency here. Returning
the output sample count and output update size as a micro- or nanosecond
time value removes the need for it. It also makes more sense for the
update time to be a separate device-level (alcGetIntegerv) query... it's
a relatively non-volatile value that doesn't need to be retrieved with
the others, as it can only change during alcCreateContext.

> These should be sufficient for deciding when to play a source with the
> new (not implemented yet) AL_PLAY_ON_DEVICE_CLOCK_SOFT timing.

I think functions would be better than a property.

void alSourcePlayTimeSOFT(ALuint64SOFT time, ALuint id);
void alSourcePlayTimevSOFT(ALuint64SOFT time, ALsizei count,
                            const ALuint *ids);

This makes more sense to me, for the same reason you'd use alSourcePlay
instead of setting the AL_SOURCE_STATE property to AL_PLAYING.