[openal] cannot find -lopenal ... cant find .a file

Kip Carr kcarr at avtsim.com
Wed Jun 11 16:23:13 EDT 2014

I am currently trying to link against the latest openal (1:1.14-4ubuntu1) in Ubuntu 14.  I did an apt-get install libopenal-dev to get latest.  When I compile I get an error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lopenal

I did a "find . -name "*openal*" in the user folder and this is what I get:

./share/doc/libopenal-data
./share/doc/libopenal-dev
./share/doc/libopenal1
./lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenal.so
./lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/openal.pc
./lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenal.so.1
./lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenal.so.1.14.0

This worked under Ubuntu 8 (sorry updating ollllld code) but there was an .a file and they were all just located under lib not the new x86_64 folder.  Is there a reason the .a file isn't in the latest release or any other reason I would be getting this error?  Ive tried searching around and there isn't anything on this sort of problem.

Thanks,
Kip