[openal] HRTF queries

Ethan Lee flibitijibibo at flibitijibibo.com
Fri Jun 20 19:44:46 EDT 2014

You might be able to design it similarly to the OpenGL shader API, but
without the need for programs/linking on top of shaders. For instance,
alcCreateHRTFs(ALint, ALint*), alcBindHRTF(ALint),
alcAttachHRTFSource(ALchar*), alcParseHRTF(), etc. This would be nice
for multiple HRTF profiles, and would prevent the need to require a
specific way of loading them in the implementation. AL Soft can just do
the parsing, and where that source comes from is up to the application.
How you want to query specific things, may depend on what the properties
are... but it sounds like the actual profile management is 99% of the
work here?

If it's possible to keep non-stereo HRTF in the spec, it might be
important for when it comes up later. I don't think it'd be a problem to
only have stereo support in the implementation, though.

-Ethan