[openal] Querying speaker configuration

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 10:52:38 EDT 2014

On 10/04/2014 06:54 AM, Peter Mulholland wrote:
> Surely if you were using a single source to play a 5.1 or 7.1 premixed
> source, it is up to OpenAL to convert it if appropriate for the output
> format?

Yup. You could just mix to a 7.1 stream, and OpenAL Soft will
automatically down-mix it to stereo, quad, 5.1, or whatever else for
output. With HRTF enabled, you'd even get virtual 7.1 playback, with the
front and back channels sounding like they're coming from in front and
in back. No need to know the output format.

Of course, ideally you'd want to provide the individual mono sources and
pan them around, letting OpenAL Soft do the mixing since that will take
full advantage of HRTF or vertically-aligned speakers when available.

>> It would quickly get to a point where all OpenAL could do is lie about
>> what it is and remix the
>> input to fit the output, putting you back where you are now.
>
> Isn't it doing that already?

Pretty much, so you basically end up back where you started -- not
knowing the actual format, and having OpenAL just remix what you give it
to fit the output. At most, you could get a "best fit" format, but I
don't think there's much downsides to just using 7.1 when available and
letting OpenAL handle fitting it.