[openal] Panning, Ambisonics, and HRTF [also, TEEM]

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:02:09 EDT 2014

I found a nice utility set for getting Ambisonic decoder matrices for
any given speaker layout:

https://bitbucket.org/ambidecodertoolbox/adt/

It's a bunch of matlab(/gnu octave) scripts that you can modify as
needed to generate files that contain decoder coefficients. At least,
that's what it says. But the decoder coefficients it generates don't
always look right, especially when a front-center speaker exists (seems
to mainly be a problem with the 'pinv' generator; the 'allrad' generator
creates better-looking results but it doesn't like to work for 2D
speaker layouts). The other problem is that the results are much quieter
than they should be, but if I can't find a method in these scripts to
increase the overall gain, perhaps I can just scale all the coefficients
up a tiny bit.

I'm still looking through it all, but it seems promising in being able
to pre-generate second or third order coefficients for almost any
conceivable speaker layout.