[openal] AL_FORMAT_STEREO_FLOAT32 range?

Adam Moss c at yotes.com
Sat Jan 10 04:39:36 EST 2015

Hiya,

In the old AL specs I don't see this question answered, and I can't find
the AL_EXT_float32 spec specifically (perhaps because openal.org is mostly
down).

The AL-soft implementation details seems to imply that float samples should
be in the [-1.0,1.0] range, like PulseAudio, and indeed this sounds good in
practice.

But a user indicates that a hardware AL implementation (unknown - perhaps
Creative) renders this 'annoyingly loud and screeching' and that [-0.5,0.5]
is the correct range.

Is one of these officially correct?

Ta,
--Adam