[openal] Compiling OpenAL (ex- OpenAL bug that freezes Blender)

Xerxes RĂ„nby xerxes at gudinna.com
Mon Jun 29 10:12:29 EDT 2015

You have two versions of openal installed:
the ubuntu packaged 1:1.14-4ubuntu1 version is installed in
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
and your own compiled version is installed in /usr/local/lib

blender still use the version found in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

the "right way" to fix it is to work with your linux distribution and
update the ubuntu package on your system to a new version
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openal-soft
you should be able to checkout the sourcecode for 1:1.16.0-3 and use that
to produce new .deb packages that you can install on your system.