[openal] some beginner questions

Ian Reed support at blindaudiogames.com
Thu May 14 01:04:03 EDT 2015

"Yes, if the device is configured as headphones. More specifically, if
PKEY_AudioEndpoint_FormFactor gives back 'Headphones' in mmdevapi, or
IDirectSound::GetSpeakerConfig gives back DSSPEAKER_HEADPHONE in dsound."

Both mine and a co developers machine fail to report headphones (even
though we are using headphones.)
So we must fall back to telling users to edit their alsoft.ini file to
enable HRTF.
While this may work for some users, I have to wonder what the percentage
of machines that actually report this correctly is.
It would be much nicer to offer them an in application setting that they
can easily change or verify if they are in doubt that HRTF is actually
enabled.

This is why forks like openal-mob have value, though I hate to stray
from the core code base.