[openal] Noob questions on oepnAL

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 10:42:32 EST 2016

On 01/08/2016 06:28 AM, Massimiliano Maini wrote:
> Nice ! I had a look at AL_EXT_SOURCE_RADIUS.txt on GitHub: I do understand
> the general idea (within the "volume" of the source, provide less
> localization), but what does "The source has a raised cosine shape" mean
> exactly ?
> I know what a raised cosine is, but I can't figure out exactly what this
> means for a source in a 3d space.

I presume it has to do with the way the directionality is reduced as the
source and listener move closer to each other within the radius. That
is, when the distance between the source and listener is at the radius,
the source is still directional, but at a low order. As it moves closer,
the volume of the remaining outputs is raised using a raised cosine
curve until the output is non-directional.

> Understood, thanks. I think it would be even better if the .ini had the
> same behavior as the mhr files: if there's an ini in the in the currently
> directory (potentially the app's directory) use it, else go for the the
> other options (env var or %AppData%). Would make it easier to drop OpenAL
> Soft into an existing app with a dedicated .ini.

I'm actually not sure why I didn't do that.