[openal] EAX not detected on Asus STX

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 09:09:41 EST 2016

On 01/24/2016 04:14 AM, Heinz Kropuschinski wrote:
> I am trying to get Open ALSoft to work in System Shock 2 (newdark patch enabling
> Open AL support) and so far everything is working except EAX. When switching
> between Open AL and Open AL Soft I noticed that the latter does not seem to
> detect EAX properly.

OpenAL Soft doesn't support the EAX extension, which was essentially
grandfathered in from DirectSound to help ease early porting efforts for
apps that used DirectSound+EAX. The EFX extension is the preferred way
to use environmental audio effects with OpenAL, which is just as capable
and is supported by OpenAL Soft, Rapture3D, and the Generic
Software/Hardware devices.

The log shows EFX is being used:

> :    Opened device 'OpenAL Soft'
> :       EFX reverb support enabled
> :       occlusion support enabled

It's interesting that for "Generic Hardware" it says "EAX reverb support
enabled" even though it supports EFX too. I wonder what the difference
is for the game.