[openal] problem enabling HRTF extension

JUNGMIN KIM kukakhan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:19:31 EDT 2016

Hi there,

I'm using openal-soft 1.17.2, and want to use HRTF extension, ALC_SOFT_HRTF.

The problem is, it seems the audio device in my computer doesn't support
HRTF extension.

That is, with this function code in my application,
alcGetIntegerv(device, ALC_HRTF_SOFT, 1, &hrtf_state);
hrtf_state returns false.

And here is a message from openal-info,
Available playback devices:
    Generic Software on Speaker(2- High Definition Audio Device)
    Generic Software on Digital Audio(S/PDIF)(2- High Definition Audio
Device)
    Generic Software on Headphone(2- High Definition Audio Device)
Available capture devices:
    Microphone(2- High Definition Audio
Default playback device: Generic Software on Speaker(2- High Definition
Audio Device)
Default capture device: Microphone(2- High Definition Audio
ALC version: 6422476.1944900080

** Info for device "Generic Software on Speaker(2- High Definition Audio
Device)" **
ALC version: 1.1
ALC extensions:
    ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT, ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT, ALC_EXT_CAPTURE, ALC_EXT_EFX
HRTF extension not available
OpenAL vendor string: Creative Labs Inc.
OpenAL renderer string: Software
OpenAL version string: 1.1
OpenAL extensions:
    EAX, EAX2.0, EAX3.0, EAX4.0, EAX5.0, EAX3.0EMULATED, EAX4.0EMULATED,
    AL_EXT_OFFSET, AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE, AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE
EFX version: 1.0
Max auxiliary sends: 1
Supported filters:
    !!! none !!!
Supported effects:
    !!! none !!!

Neither with my speaker or headphone device can I enable HRTF extensions.

Is it really a device problem, which I have to change it?
Or, is there anything I should consider?