[openal] Making OpenAL Soft more "portable"?

Massimiliano Maini maxmaini at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 10:15:10 EDT 2016

On 4 June 2016 at 15:37, Marvin -SShock <circumflex at gmx.net> wrote:

> > The main issue is that the "game folder" isn't a particularly
> > well-defined place. On Windows it's relatively easy to get (IIRC,
> > there's a function call to get the full path to the process's
> > executable), but on Linux, the idea of a game folder is actually pretty
> > hazy
>
> It could be implemented as an OS-specific feature then, but I can
> understand if you hesitate to make OALS too platform-dependent this way

I run into the same issue trying to figure out the best way to use OALS as
a drop-in replacement in games with other OAL implementations.
I'd vote for the windows-specific feature (but I do understand the
arguments against that).

Random idea: is there any way to make the .dll / .lib load its conf file
from the folder the .dll/.lib is sitting into ?
That way, for platform with a usable concept of game folder, putting the
.dll/.lib in the game folder (with its conf file) would do the trick.

Max.