[openal] Incorrect Device Names

Tommy Scott tscott at magiqueproductions.com
Thu Sep 1 11:34:51 EDT 2016

When I enumerate all the available devices they all come back with a strDeviceName equal to "OpenAL Soft" instead of the actual device name. I am
using the same code I had for regular OpenAL and the device names were correct before. I've checked the string returned for all enumerated devices and it properly has all the names in in and can go through them just fine, but when calling|alcGetString(device, ALC_DEVICE_SPECIFIER), only the first part is
returned and it is "OpenAL Soft". Strangely, if I change the call to ||alcGetString(device, ALC_ALL_DEVICES_SPECIFIER) then it returns thje
correct name for the device, but then when using that name to open the
device it doesn't allow the device to play sounds. If I don't simply use ||alcGetString(device, ALC_DEVICE_SPECIFIER) as intended, and then open a
device called "OpenAL Soft" then I get the first device in the list and
can play to it, but obviously I don't have access to any other devices.|

Is there something special I need to do to get the proper device names? This seems like an OpenAL Soft bug, but I've tried dlls several versions older and the problem persists there as well. I'm wondering if I need to build the libraries myself and fix this in source code. Has anyone else seen this?

Tommy