[openal] Why ReconstructHrirs in makehrtf?

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:04:52 EDT 2016

On 09/28/2016 09:44 AM, Christian Hoene wrote:
> I do not understand why you need the ReconstructHrirs to generate the HRTFs?
> Actually, all the other signal processing function in makehrtf, are they
> specific to the KEMAR data set?

Hi.

Cool work. I've been hoping to support the SOFA format with makehrtf,
but haven't gotten the time to.

ReconstructHrirs is used to generate the minimum phase response, which
drastically cuts down on the impulse response size and makes it more
efficient to apply in real-time. In the case of KEMAR, it reduces the
512-sample impulse response to a delay + 32-sample impulse response (it
does the same for any data set that isn't already minimum phase).

None of the functions are specific to the KEMAR data set, though the
need for using a given function depends on the data set (e.g.
ResampleHrirs is unneeded if the input and output samples rates are the
same, ReconstructHrirs is unneeded if the input is already minimum phase).

Hope that helps. Good luck!