[openal] HRTF on Android

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:28:47 EST 2017

On 02/16/2017 06:34 PM, Cyril Drouet wrote:
> From what I understand, on Windows or Linux, I'm supposed to edit the
> alsoft.conf file and set hrtf to true, and specify a list of files to
> hrtf_tables.

The hrtf and hrtf_tables config options are for setting it on your
specific system. With 1.17.2, you can set the ALSOFT_LOCAL_PATH
environment variable before calling any OpenAL functions (really before
HRTFs are enumerated, but that can happen implicitly by a number of
calls so it's best to set it once ASAP). It will then search that path
for mhr (HRTF) files when enumerating them. I don't know exactly how
this works for "normal" Android apps, where files should be so standard
I/O functions can access them. With the current Git version (soon 1.18),
you can embed a couple HRTFs into the lib so they're automatically
accessible.

The hrtf option is just to set the default behavior for using HRTF. The
ALC_SOFT_HRTF extension is how you can enable/disable it from the app.
Though obviously it won't help much if the lib didn't find any HRTF
files to use.