[openal] Preparing for 1.18

Christian Hoene christian.hoene at symonics.com
Sun May 28 13:24:16 EDT 2017

Hi Chris,

in respect to regular layouts, I thought about a solution for OpenAL. OpenAL likes to have a regular layout and has restrictions on the maximal size of this layout. It does not work well with all Sofa files.

Instead of using the original layout of a Sofa file, especially if it is not suitable for OpenAL, one could resample/interpolate the HRTF using a layout that works well with OpenAL.

Libmysofa (see https://www.hdfgroup.org/2017/04/hdf5-under-the-sofa-hdf5-on-embedded-and-mobile-devices/) has an interpolation unit. Thus, it would be straight forward to change makehrtf to support irregular HRTFs by simply resampling the HRTF for a given, fixed layout.

The only thing which needs to be changed in the OpenAL core is the mirroring of HRTFs. Mirroring HRTFs can be imprecise, see: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/online/browse.cfm?elib=18590

With best regards,

 Christian Hoene

--
Symonics GmbH
Geierweg 25
Email: christian.hoene at symonics.com
Geschäftsführer/President: Dr. Christian Hoene
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Place of Business: Tübingen
Registereintrag/Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 739918