[openal] OpenAlSoft beginner

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 02:55:59 EST 2017

On 11/07/2017 04:17 AM, Jaffar wrote:
> Hi.  My name is Jaffar.  I am from Singapore and I am a blind programmer
> hoping to intigrate OpenAlSoft into an application I am developing.  Is
> there a beginner's tutorial for first time  users like me?  I would
> prefer these to be in c++ as this is my preferred language.  Cheers!

Hi.

An example to simply load a buffer and play it can be found here:
<https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/blob/master/examples/alplay.c>

Some auxiliary code (for InitAL and CloseAL) is here:
<https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/blob/master/examples/common/alhelpers.c>

Note that it uses SDL_sound to load and decode audio files, since OpenAL
itself doesn't have that functionality (it leaves it up to you as to how
you want to load your audio and what formats you support).

Other examples for more things, like streaming, can be found in the
examples directory:
<https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/blob/master/examples>