[openal] Open specific output device on Mac OS X

James Turner zakalawe at mac.com
Mon Apr 16 07:29:29 EDT 2018

> On 11 Apr 2018, at 22:11, James Turner <zakalawe at mac.com> wrote:
>
> If you are brave to the point of crazyness, you can try this:
>
> 	https://github.com/zakalawe/openal-soft/commit/349bf7254e1d45b59abf98303a0047dbcd98fefd
>
> However, I am currently travelling so I can only say that this compiles and *looks* like it’s working; I must wait until Sunday to really test. If you run the above and it wipes your disk, well, CoreAudio is more crazy than we already knew :)
>
> Seriously, it might work, but 80% chance it needs some bugs fixed.

Okay, I was able to test my changes at home with more audio devices:

========

12:24 $ ./openal-info
Available playback devices:
    CoreAudio Default
    08-df-1f-d5-85-43:input
    08-df-1f-d5-85-43:output
    AppleHDAEngineInput:1F,3,0,1,0:1
    AppleHDAEngineOutput:1F,3,0,1,1:0
    AppleHDAEngineOutputDP:0,1,0,1,0:0:{AC10-4065-3036374C}
    AppleUSBAudioEngine:Henge Docks, LLC:Henge Audio:14440000:1
    AppleUSBAudioEngine:Henge Docks, LLC:Henge Audio:14440000:2
Available capture devices:
AudioObjectGetPropertyData (kAudioDevicePropertyDeviceManufacturerCFString) failed: 2003332927
    CoreAudio Default
    08-df-1f-d5-85-43:input
    AppleHDAEngineInput:1F,3,0,1,0:1
    AppleUSBAudioEngine:Henge Docks, LLC:Henge Audio:14440000:2
Default playback device: CoreAudio Default
Default capture device: CoreAudio Default
ALC version: 1.1

=====

Some pieces are working well here: I can see the audio in and out of my Henge Dock (Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C)

And I’m seeing what I think the display-port audio output of my monitor (the AppleHDAEngineOutputDP:0,1,0,1,0:0:{AC10-4065-3036374C} entry)

What I’m not seeing is my Bose bluetooth-connected speaker, but I wonder if that’s the ‘anonymosu’ outputs at the top of the list. And I’m definitiely not seeing the same names I see in the Sound system preferences:

	https://imagebin.ca/v/3yZoKBy9cLGh

So I suspect there’s a bit more work to be done here.

Kind regards,
James