[openal] Listing/accessing specific input channels

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 05:19:28 EDT 2018

On 04/26/2018 01:48 AM, violini wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to list/access specific input channels on my soundcard? I’m using the latest openal-soft dll (1.18.2), and I’m using a Steinberg UR44 which is equipped with 6 analogue inputs. When I list the available devices using ALC_CAPTURE_DEVICE_SPECIFIER, I receive only  the following: "OpenAL Soft on Steinberg UR44”. This records successfully on channels 1 and 2. But how do I list/access the other 4 channels?. My ultimate aim is to open multiple instances of pALCDevice and record on all 6 channels. Many thanks in advance.

Hi.

By "channels" I assume you mean, for example, the individual left and
right inputs of a stereo stream. In that case, there isn't a way to
record specific channels on a specific device.

However, with OpenAL Soft you can (possibly) record all 4 or 6 channels
with a single device, by specifying AL_FORMAT_QUAD* or AL_FORMAT_51CHN*
formats for the capture device. This should theoretically work on
devices with a 4- or 6-channel input, although I don't know how much
multi-channel recording is used so there could be issues.