[openal] What's that weird sound before we go out?

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:23:51 EDT 2018

On 08/24/2018 09:45 AM, n/a n/a wrote:
> https://youtu.be/LSUd6p2GMFM
>
> And how to deal with it? (The problem is that before going out, the high tone sounds for a moment. This shouldn't be happening.)
> Experimentally found that the effect is manifested in a delay of up to 1373 MS. In another environment may be different.
>
> Similar problem, no answer:
> http://openal.org/pipermail/openal/2015-January/000312.html

The problem seems to be the system is playing a bit of old audio before
output stops. Internally, the system is likely just looping over a
buffer of audio as OpenAL feeds in more and overwrites it in time to
play. When stopping there could be a bit of time between OpenAL sending
the last bit of audio and actually stopping the device, perhaps giving
the system enough time to loop back and play an old bit of audio.

I'm a bit surprised that there would be so much time before stopping
that the system has time to loop back like that. I can look into
stopping the system playback sooner and see if that helps, although if
you want to try mitigating the issue, it may help to have nothing play
for a bit before destroying the OpenAL context.