[openal] Getting raw audio data instead of sending it to an audio driver

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 13:38:32 EDT 2018

On 07/31/2018 01:44 AM, sebastian pflügelmeier wrote:
> hi everybody,
>
> can anybody tell me if its possible to get the raw audio data.
> I need to process my audio data further after i applied reverb and a hrtf
> to some sounds so i don't need the output to be sent to the soundcard but
> instead get raw audio samples.
> is there any way to do that?

Hi.

With OpenAL Soft, there's the ALC_SOFT_loopback extension which has the
audio samples written to your own buffer on-demand, instead of to a real
sound device as-needed. The only caveat is, on Windows it can't be used
through the router since it doesn't know the new open method and won't
recognize the device handle, so you need to call the methods from OpenAL
Soft's DLL directly.