[openal] Further consideration of C++

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:12:35 EDT 2018

I don't think this is an option *at all*.

IMO one main point of OpenAL-soft is to provide a DLL/lib that's
compatible with older OpenAL versions and that can be used to replace
those in existing apps/games, so they continue to work on newer systems
that might bring new audio interfaces (think OSS -> alsa -> pulse on
Linux, and who knows what will replace pulse in the future).
And of course this also means that I want to be able to replace the
OpenAL implementation of new games created now in the future.
Furthermore, as long as OpenAL-soft contains LGPL code, using it as a
single header lib is not possible for any closed source game.

I love single-header libs, but it doesn't make sense for all libraries,
and only up to a certain scope/size. OpenAL-soft meets none of  these
criteria.

Cheers,
Daniel