[openal] Recent changes for OpenAL Soft

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 19:59:01 EDT 2019

It's been a while, but here's an update for you all.

The conversion to C++ is now largely done. The base standard is C++11,
which in turn requires GCC 5*, Clang 3.6 (I think, maybe 3.8?), MSVC
2014, or newer. Windows and Linux builds have been verified to work, and
builds have been successfully made for OSX and Android (using Clang and
libc++).

* Technically, GCC started supporting C++11 in 4.8 and 4.9. However,
those versions are missing some details from the standard that only got
added in the 5.0 branch, which the codebase trips over.

In addition, SOFA support was added to makehrtf via libmysofa
<https://github.com/hoene/libmysofa>, so you can make .mhr files for
HRTF from .sofa files. It's available from at least some Linux distros'
repos (Debian Stretch for sure), and didn't seem to be too hard to build
on Windows. This is now required to build the utility, along with the
companion sofa-info utility (used to help create def files for
makehrtf). If the library isn't available, those utilities won't be
built. It is not needed for the OpenAL Soft library itself, either
building or running.

That's essentially it for now, regarding updated build requirements. If
there's something I forgot to mention and you're hitting a snag with
building master, please let me know and/or file an issue over on GitHub.
The task of splitting the library up to audit/rewrite the code and
relicense it is still on the table, and will get done in due time.