[openal] Multiple Output Devices

Patrick Baggett baggett.patrick at gmail.com
Fri May 15 16:44:05 EDT 2020

I've been planning out a split-screen video game. I have a plan for
supporting split-screen via a single sound card. Is whether it is possible
to have OpenAL render sound to two different sound cards *simultaneously*.

Use case: split screen with two players each having headphones and hearing
only *their* sounds.

There is a limit of one active context per process - but does that mean I
can create only one context? Or does it mean that I can create multiple and
I just need to constantly use alcMakeCurrent() to switch between them to
issue commands? Or would making a context not-current disable all
processing? Any idea of the overhead of constantly swapping contexts?

In my testing machine, I have two separate sound cards. The first is a
Creative X-FI card that is supported by Creative's OpenAL hardware
implementation. The second is an on-board Realtek chip that is supported by
the OpenAL-soft (v1.20.1).

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

Patrick