[openal] Building openal-soft for 32bit on Centos 07 arch 64

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 13:15:24 EDT 2020

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 18:35:23 +0200
Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote:

> No idea how to best do this on centos.
> The problem is you not only have to pass -m32 to the compiler, but
> also need 32bit development libs of openal's dependencies (like
> libasound and libpulse) to link against.
> Maybe centos allows installing 32bit dev-packages of libs on 64bit
> system, maybe not, no idea (I use debian-based distros and last time
> I checked it does not work there without also building the dependency
> libs yourself).

For Debian itself, it's definitely possible to build 32-bit OpenAL Soft
on 64-bit, without having to build the dependencies manually or use a
chroot. You'll need to enable multiarch to be able to install the *i386
dev packages, but with them installed you just need to add -m32 to the
compile and link command lines. I don't know the "correct" way to do
that, but I have this simple toolchain file:

set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME Linux)
set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION 1)
set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR "i686")
set(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ARG1 "-m32")
set(CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ARG1 "-m32")

Not sure exactly what specific lines of that are needed, but it works
here.