[openal] About update documentation and contents about OpenAL

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Thu Aug 19 13:32:05 EDT 2021

> Far away from the time when the SDK and other materials related to
> OpenAL where hosted on Creative's web site (something like
> <http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx>), we can see
> (since 2018) a new web content that says "Open API Remember EAX and A3D?
> Forget them. OpenAL is vendor neutral." hosted on icculus.org
> <https://icculus.org>.

Creative Labs owned the openal.org domain name, and let it lapse, so I
bought at auction--for a lot of money!--to protect it from falling into
the hands of a domain squatter.

What's on openal.org right now was just the minimum needed to let it
continue to have a web presence, but there's no reason this can't be
improved. Jack Slater put together a basic template and we bought some
stock images. I think it looks clean and professional, but we
_definitely_ don't have much content on it.

>    * It is ALUT a part of the standard?

It is not. It's similar to GLUT vs OpenGL, as far as I know.

>    * Why there is not a link to the work from Chris on "OpenAL Soft" and
> "freealut" (from vancegroup)? It's just the default instalation from
> linux platfoms and near also from macOS.

OpenAL Soft is the only thing listed on https://www.openal.org/links/
(the "Links" tab at the top of the page).

> PD. Icculus got the "OpenAL Extension Registry". Where did it go?

It was held together with some really old software and I didn't think
anyone was using it anymore. I can put it back up in some form. Also, it
(or something like it) can go on openal.org now that we actually own the
domain, instead of it sitting on an otherwise-unrelated domain.

--ryan.