[openal] About update documentation and contents about OpenAL

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Thu Aug 19 14:16:18 EDT 2021

> As far as I'm aware, Creative still owns the trademarks associated with
> OpenAL, so they're the only ones that can say anything about official
> updates to the specification, and they've unfortunately been silent on
> the OpenAL front for a few years now. Individual implementations, like
> OpenAL Soft and Rapture3D, can still add new features, which is where
> much of the improvements have been.

Their trademark needs to be renewed in November of 2023. You have to
submit proof when renewing that you still actively use the trademark
(i.e. - a photograph of something currently for sale that uses it).

Trademarks have to be renewed after the first five years and then every
ten years after that. Creative last renewed the trademark _six days_
after they let the openal.org and openal.net domains lapse (they
continued to hold openal.com, but there's no DNS record for the domain).

https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4807:368q9a.2.1

All this to say: we'll see if they still have a trademark in a little
more than two years. They might not want to (or be able to) renew it at
that point.

--ryan.