[openal] OpenAL Soft 1.22.0 released!

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 05:31:38 EDT 2022

On Monday, April 25, 2022 1:52:19 AM PDT James Turner wrote:
> Thanks for the release announcement, I have one question about it:
> > On 23 Apr 2022, at 09:31, Chris Robinson <chris.kcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ALC_SOFT_reopen_device, allowing apps to move output to different devices
> > without having to destroy and recreate everything:
> > <https://openal-soft.org/openal-extensions/SOFT_reopen_device.txt
> > <https://openal-soft.org/openal-extensions/SOFT_reopen_device.txt>>
> What OpenAL-soft backends is this supported on? There’s no mention of
> compatibility or support anywhere, but I am too much of pessimist to assume
> it just works perfectly everywhere … or does it?

It should work on all of them. The only real caveat is when using hardware
directly, reopening the same device that's already open, and the hardware
doesn't support hardware mixing (OSS and ALSA can run into issues here, but
that depends on the hardware and configuration). OpenAL Soft keeps the
original device open while it tries to open the new one, to ensure the
original device can be resumed if the new device can't open, so if it tries to
open the same device that's currently open, that can fail if the hardware
doesn't allow it.