[openal] Attenuation Roll-Off problems (too silent)

Roland Plüss roland at rptd.ch
Thu May 19 09:22:57 EDT 2022

I'm still trying to figure out why the attenuation in OpenAL is not
working properly.

According to the documentation a roll-off of 1 is the default or
"natural". If I use this though and I have let's say a sound source a
couple of meters above ground (think of an airplane or similar) with
gain set to 1 then it is pretty much inaudible a couple of meters below
on the ground. I tried setting the gain like to 10 but this does not
help much. I ended up using a roll-off of 0.05 to make the sound audible
on the ground.

This sounds wrong to me. Is the documented roll-off default value wrong?
Is something else wrong? Can't be a sound is only audible a few meters
away even if it is like a large engine running which you can hear over a
great distance.

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland

Game Development and Game Engine Technologies
https://dragondreams.ch