[openal] Attenuation Roll-Off problems (too silent)

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Fri May 20 00:30:53 EDT 2022

On Thursday, May 19, 2022 6:54:57 PM PDT Roland Plüss wrote:
> Figured something similar. But the problem exists also for more sane
> situation. For example if I put a source where an actor is and he is
> speaking with volume 1 (normal conversation loudness) then you can go 6
> meters away and here nothing at all. I can though hear very well
> somebody speaking across a room. So is the roll-off of 1 not correct?

A rolloff of 1 is correct. But it's important to set the sound's gain and
reference distance correctly given the unit scale the game world uses, for the
sound to attenuate correctly with distance. If you use one game unit to
represent one meter, and your voice clip is as loud as someone should be at
1.5 meters, for example, you would set the source's reference distance to 1.5.
Then with rolloff set to 1, when the source is 6 units (6 meters) away, the
gain will be reduced to 0.25, or about -12dB from full volume, which is still
audible.

If you use a different unit scale, for example one unit being one foot, you
need to adjust the reference distance as appropriate since a 1.5 reference
distance would mean the sound would be full volume at 1.5 feet instead of 1.5
meters.