[openal] Attenuation Roll-Off problems (too silent)

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Fri May 20 04:10:20 EDT 2022

On Friday, May 20, 2022 12:47:20 AM PDT Roland Plüss wrote:
> The reference distance is set to 1 for all sources since I found no
> definition for how to set it if a physically correct sound is used where
> you know only it's volume. How is the physically correct value
> calculated for use with OpenAL?

The sound designer needs to come up with it, given how loud the sound file is
at full volume compared to how loud it should be at a given distance. Each
sound will need manual adjustments made by ear. If you have any information
about how the sound was recorded (e.g. if it was quiet near sound or a loud
far sound) and what processing was done to it (e.g. if it was boosted or
attenuated, and by how much), that can help guide you to proper values, but
ultimately it needs some trial and error.