[openal] Attenuation Roll-Off problems (too silent)

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sat May 21 08:34:40 EDT 2022

On Saturday, May 21, 2022 5:12:59 AM PDT Roland Plüss wrote:
> This does not seem to work. I tested with reverb gain of 0.02 once with
> source gain 10, 100 and 1000 but the final reverb gain is unchanged.
> This leads me to conclude reverb gain is not linked with source gain. Is
> this wrong?

The source gain is clamped before the reverb gain is applied. With no
attenuation, it's essentially:

mix_gain = clamp(source.gain, source.min_gain, source.max_gain) *
    source.filter.gain * listener.gain * reverb.gain;

The sound is then mixed to the effect buffer with that gain, then the effect
processes its buffer when all sources have mixed to it.