[openal] what determines valid playback devices?

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 20:12:26 EST 2014

On 12/09/2014 02:09 PM, Grumbly Gibson wrote:
> Hi, I have a weird problem where openal-info used to report a couple
> playback devices, and I could also hear demos working, but now openal-info
> reports only the Wave Writer and I hear nothing in the demos. Somehow I
> ruined something in my attempts to compile openal-soft for i386 on mac.
> Would this be my openal installation or maybe a configuration of something
> else?..

Check for /etc/openal/alsoft.conf or ~/.alsoftrc files, and see if they
have a "drivers = wave" line. The Wave File Writer shouldn't ever get
autoselected, a config file somewhere has to explicitly select it (the
Null backend, which can never fail initialization, has higher priority).
Also check to make sure you don't have an ALSOFT_DRIVERS environment
variable set.

If you can't find where drivers are being set, you can run openal-info
with the ALSOFT_LOGLEVEL environment variable set to 3. That will print
out additional traces to show what the lib has compile-time support for,
what options its getting from what config files, and what backends are
being initialized.