[openal] what determines valid playback devices?

Grumbly Gibson grumblygibson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 23:44:13 EST 2014

Depending which framework I link, I'll get audio, or effects, but not both.
Linking to OpenAL.framework gets me the "built-in device" audio out
support, and linking to OpenAL-Soft.framework gets me the "OpenAL Soft"
device which is only writing out to wav file. Is there a way I can have
both somehow so I can have effects that also come through the built-in
speakers? Documentation on config file for mac is a bit lacking. Any
suggestions would be great.