[openal] hello and question re: alsa devices

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 20:21:50 EST 2014

Hi,

non-hardware devices definitely work, but they may have to be linear, at
least that's what I configured years ago to make it work.
Something like

pcm.blafoo_linear {
   type linear
   slave.format S16_LE # or maybe S24_LE ?
   slave.pcm blafoo
   hint {
       show on
       description "my blafoo software device"
   }
}

in ~/.asoundrc (assuming your software device is called "blafoo") works
for me.
In my case, blafoo is "type plug", has surround51 as slave and sends all
channels to the subwoofer (because OpenAL doesn't send sounds from 3D
sources to the subwoofer and my speakers don't do that automatically)

Cheers,
Daniel