[openal] Loading of HRTF file fails

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 20:01:41 EST 2014

On 02/18/2014 08:12 AM, Dennis Franken wrote:
> My problem is that I seem to be unable to load the mhr files that
> makehrtf.exe spits out. When running openal-info32.exe I get the error
> message:
> "AL lib: (EE) LoadHrtf: Could not open "oalsoft_IRC_1005_hrtf_44100.mhr"
> I added these lines to alsoft.ini:
> hrtf = true
> hrtf_tables = "oalsoft_IRC_1005_hrtf_44100.mhr"
> The ini file is read and parsed. I've copied the mhr files into
> %APPDATA% and also tried copying them into the application directory and
> even Windows\System32. Looking at the source, it seems that after
> whatever is done to the poor filename "fopen" fails.

Hello! :)

Currently the filename should be an absolute path, and can't contain
environment variables like %AppData% or $HOME. Otherwise it tries to
open the given filename relative to wherever the app is run (the current
working directory at the time of the fopen call). This will likely
change, though, and work relative to some path (the XDG data paths in
Linux, probably %AppData% on Windows), or allow environment variables...
or both. Absolute paths will, of course, always work.

It's cool that you managed to convert a bunch more HRTF profiles. I'd
actually like to be able to include more with OpenAL Soft (as optional
external files in the archive download) to make it easier to select
different ones. Once I get OpenAL Soft to load them from appropriate
data paths, anyway. I may even make the current MIT-based set external
then too, to decrease the size of the dll/so.