[openal] Only effects reverb and echo works in openal-soft

Tobias Widlund widlundtobias at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 07:57:52 EDT 2014

Hello!

I am trying to use effects from the EFX extension in OpenAL soft. However
only reverb and echo seem to work whilst distortion and chorus doesn't. I
try to enable the effect type for an effect object like so:

alEffecti(mEffectId, AL_EFFECT_TYPE, AL_EFFECT_CHORUS);

Where if I replace it with this, it works:
alEffecti(mEffectId, AL_EFFECT_TYPE, AL_EFFECT_REVERB);

The error given directly after the line is an AL_INVALID_VALUE error which
indicates that chorus is not a valid effect. I noticed that in the past
there was a point when distortion and chorus were not available effects but
reverb and echo was, so i double checked my version. I am using OpenAL soft
1.15 and i even tried compiling the latest git version which changed
nothing.

Looking in the git logs of the openal-soft repo that I cloned, I can see
messages stating that chorus was added and I even checked in the source
code and the implementation is there.

Does anyone have any ideas on why I am not able to use the
chorus/distortion effects?

Thanks,
Tobias.