[openal] "Performance" Question

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sat May 31 02:40:41 EDT 2014

On 05/30/2014 10:39 PM, developer at oldunreal.com wrote:
> And yes, it should be compatible, but for some yet unknown reason I get
> reports that it doesn't seem to in every case.

OpenAL Soft is a bit more strict when it comes to spec compliance. There
are things Creative's drivers just ignore where OpenAL Soft more
correctly generates an error. Using al* functions without a current
context, for instance -- Creative makes it no-op and returns
AL_NO_ERROR, while OpenAL Soft makes it a no-op but returns
AL_INVALID_OPERATION since the call couldn't be done.

There's also things Creative's drivers allow simply because of how it
handles things internally. For example, you can queue a STEREO16 buffer
and a STEREO_IMA4 buffer both onto the same source because IMA4 is
decompressed to 16-bit, but that's not something guaranteed by the spec.
OpenAL Soft keeps track of the original format that was passed to
alBufferData and ensures they match.

There are a few extensions as well that OpenAL Soft doesn't support,
like EAX or EAX-RAM. A number OpenAL apps on Windows also hard-code
device names of DirectSound3D, DirectSound, Generic Hardware, or Generic
Software, which come from the wrap_oal driver and aren't recognized by
OpenAL Soft.

So there are certainly places where a poorly written app, or an app that
relies on "obscure" extensions, can work with Creative's drivers and
trip up with OpenAL Soft. In the general case, though, it should work.