[openal] OpenAL-soft Readme Notes

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 01:47:59 EDT 2014

On 10/06/2014 04:37 PM, Kirk Baker wrote:
> Does this mean that if I place the soft_oal.dll in my application’s
> directory renamed as OpenAL32.dll and use it in my application it
> will prevent other system-installed OpenAL implementations from
> working?

For your application, yes. If soft_oal.dll is renamed to OpenAL32.dll
and placed with the exe, the app will only see OpenAL Soft's devices.
Other applications in different directories will of course be unaffected.

> Can we install the OpenAl-soft
> implementation in our app’s directory and have it run independently
> of any existing OpenAL (if any is installed at all)?

Yep. If OpenAL Soft is in the app's directory as OpenAL32.dll, it will
be used regardless of any other OpenAL implementations that may be on
the system.