[openal] Querying speaker configuration

Peter Mulholland peter.mulholland at vpltd.com
Tue Oct 7 05:21:52 EDT 2014

On 07/10/2014 10:00, Richard Furse wrote:
> Ah, okay - I've answered completely the wrong question! I think you're saying that OpenAL is basically being used as a wrapper for the operating system audio hardware layer.
>
> Trying to think of alternatives - how is PortAudio looking these days? Does it manage to identify multichannel layouts?

There are also use cases like mine - where we are handling data coming from more than one API,
sometimes requiring mixing. For example, we simulate DirectSound3D with OpenAL. Having to juggle
PortAudio and openal-soft would be an unneccesary pain.

I suppose we could utilise openal-soft's loopback mode and render to PortAudio, but that seems like
a huge hack.

--
Regards,

Peter Mulholland
Software Developer & System Administrator
Virtual Programming Ltd

E: peter.mulholland at vpltd.com
www.vpltd.com

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this Electronic
Message and is intended only for the use of the addressee. It may not be
copied or forwarded without the permission of the sender.