[openal] Querying speaker configuration

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 05:36:25 EDT 2014

On 10/07/2014 02:21 AM, Peter Mulholland wrote:
> I suppose we could utilise openal-soft's loopback mode and render to
> PortAudio, but that seems like a huge hack.

Indeed. There's also the issue that trying to do anything more than
stereo output becomes a lot more shaky because PortAudio is only given a
channel count. So for example, with 5.1 output you'd specify '6'
channels, but you don't know whether that gets you standard 5.1 or some
other layout that uses 6 channels. Plus it doesn't specify a channel
order, so you don't know which one is necessarily front-center, or
back-left, or lfe, etc.