[openal] OpenAL soft on win32: AL lib: (EE) ALCmmdevPlayback_open: Device init failed: 0x80004005

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 07:58:57 EDT 2014

On 10/12/2014 04:01 AM, Lex wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I am trying to use openal soft 1.16.0 with CAudio
> (https://github.com/R4stl1n/cAudio) on windows 8.1.
> I compiled OpenAL soft with visual studio 2012 and tried to run CAudio
> provided samples. Occasionally, but quite often, I get the following
> error message after chosing a playback device:
>
> Available Playback Devices:
> 0): R
> 1): R

It's possibly a problem with enumerating devices, as these names
certainly don't look right. Though it's odd that the default device
doesn't match either of these, since that name comes right from the same
internal list.

If you can, try setting the environment variable ALSOFT_LOGLEVEL to 3,
and see what the app prints to stderr.