[openal] OpenAL Soft release soon-ish?

developer at oldunreal.com developer at oldunreal.com
Fri Aug 14 06:33:49 EDT 2015

On 13.08.2015 06:07, Chris Robinson wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> I'm contemplating having an OpenAL Soft 1.17 release fairly soon, and
> would like feedback on any relatively important issues for it.
> Currently, I know of:
>
> The HRTF extension:
> http://openal.org/pipermail/openal/2015-July/000406.html
> I've not heard too much feedback from this, so I assume it's good
> enough. I'd really prefer to not release 1.17 without an HRTF
> extension, so if there's any changes you'd like to see, please speak up.

Didn't find the time to really check it and I didn't know its so close
for release. Will grab the latest version and check it out, but I so far
I see no problem with the your suggestions.
> UT2k4 wants "DirectSound3D" on Windows:
> https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/issues/14
> I really would like to avoid hacks like this, but from the looks of
> it, OpenAL Soft would have to accept "DirectSound3D" and treat it as
> the default device (on Windows). Is there really no way to change the
> device name the game wants?

Had a chat with an old friend of mine who was contributing and working
with Epic on UT2k4, he said there is no real chance to change this
behavior except maybe hexediting the dll since this value is plain
hardcoded (which doesn't seem to be a real solution either anyway). Also
it's not to be expected that there will be another patch or other
changes for UT2k4 yet. Guess there is no real other way out of this.

~Smirftsch