[openal] Extensions and recommended way of installing OpenAL Soft

Cyril Drouet cyril.drouet at immerex.com
Mon Aug 31 13:18:59 EDT 2015

Hi,

I have been using Open AL Soft to add audio support to the SDK I'm
working on. I'm trying to use the "AL_SOFT_buffer_samples" extension so
that I can load surround data into buffers. To test if the feature is
available on the computer, I check if
alIsExtensionPresent("AL_SOFT_buffer_samples") returns true or false
after setting the output device and context.

 1. If I rename "soft_oal.dll" into "openAL32.dll", then everything is
    good: alIsExtensionPresent returns true
 2. If I install OpenAL from Creative and install soft_oal.dll the
    recommended way (I don't rename the dll, and just add it to System32
    on Windows), then alIsExtensionPresent never returns true

I would like to use the second method which is the recommended way of
installing OpenAL Soft, and benefit from the OpenAL soft implementation
as well, but it doesn't seem to be working. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Cyril