[openal] stereo separation issue with a stereo source

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:32:39 EST 2015

On 5 February 2015 at 18:10, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> perhaps there is an openal-soft setting that i'm missing which narrows
> the stereo field on playback or maybe there is a bug.

ok,

after staring at alSource.c for a while and finding this thread:
http://openal.996291.n3.nabble.com/AL-SOFT-direct-channels-td3765.html

apparently each multichannel source has to set AL_DIRECT_CHANNELS_SOFT
for the virtualization to not happen (where a slight downmix is the
result).
i'm guessing this cannot be set context wide, so per-source flagging should do.

> to my knowledge stereo sources cannot be manipulated via panning, cone
> angles etc, which means that the stereo filed is hardcoded in the
> buffer.

^ also i think this appears to be partially true - there is no way to
control the stereo field of a stereo source, say a 0-100% (where 0% is
a mono downmix) on the fly via a alSourcei() call. is that correct?
:-)

lubomir