[openal] some beginner questions

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Fri May 15 19:41:12 EDT 2015

On 05/13/2015 10:04 PM, Ian Reed wrote:
> "Yes, if the device is configured as headphones. More specifically, if
> PKEY_AudioEndpoint_FormFactor gives back 'Headphones' in mmdevapi, or
> IDirectSound::GetSpeakerConfig gives back DSSPEAKER_HEADPHONE in dsound."
>
> Both mine and a co developers machine fail to report headphones (even
> though we are using headphones.)

Yeah, it really depends more on the device (or a specific jack on the
device) than what's physically plugged in.

> So we must fall back to telling users to edit their alsoft.ini file to
> enable HRTF.

FWIW, alsoft-config (released with 1.16) can also do it through a GUI.
Though yeah, I can understand why that wouldn't be a very good solution
either.

> It would be much nicer to offer them an in application setting that they
> can easily change or verify if they are in doubt that HRTF is actually
> enabled.

Yeah, and I'm very sorry for how long it's taking to even get a basic
HRTF extension in place. I'm just trying to juggle between what's
"enough" for apps to be useful and what I can guarantee to support into
the future -- I don't want to expose details that can change and cause a
future update to have to drop the extension due to an internal differences.

I'll just have to bite the bullet though, and likely go with a simple
enable device attribute, a device reset function (which will allow
changing it on an active device), and some status queries (to tell if
it's on, and why not if it isn't).